BBQ Chicken Pizza: A Beginner’s Guide: BBQ Chicken Bacon Pizza is the best thing ever for pizza night! My easy homemade pizza dough, barbecue sauce, rotisserie chicken, bacon, sliced red onion, and lots of cheese are all in this classic pizza recipe. Pizza made at home that tastes great.
BBQ Chicken Pizza: A Beginner’s Guide
Big Green Egg Meal
- It’s no secret that I love pizza. The food I would pick if I had to eat something one last time. Give me all the cheese pizza and some craft beers!
- During high school, Mike and I always went to Godfather’s Pizza and then got an ice cream cone at McDonald’s on our dates. We still love a big pizza with lots of cheese more than anything else.
- When we talk about pizza and ice cream, did you know that I’m also sharing an ice cream of the month? Join the group! You are welcome to try any of the flavors we offer.
What you need to make BBQ chicken pizza
Pizza Dough: For this recipe, I used my usual pizza dough that I make at home. You could also use store-bought whole wheat dough, or the dough I make myself would also be great.
Barbecue Sauce: I bought some sweet and spicy barbecue sauce in a bottle at the store. Making your own barbecue sauce is another thing you could do.
Chicken: You can use rotisserie chicken or make your own. Both are great!
Bacon: I baked some thick-cut bacon, cut it up, and put it on this pizza. Tip Always have cooked bacon on hand in the freezer.
Red onion: For great barbecue chicken pizza, you need to thinly slice the red onion.
Cheese: I used white cheddar cheese that had just been shredded. It would also taste great with mozzarella.
How to make pizza with chicken from the grill
1. Get the dough ready.
- Follow my easy steps to make your own pizza dough. You can make this dough pretty quickly, and you have about an hour to do it before you start putting the pizza together. It does make the BEST pizza!
- You can mix the dough ahead of time, let it rise, cover it, and put it in the fridge. Thirty minutes before you’re ready to put it together, take it out of the fridge.
- To roll out the dough, get a baking mat, a rolling pin, and a lot of flour. Make any shape you want. When you use a cast iron skillet, it needs to fit just right.
- I have also tried to work out the dough by moving it around in my hands, but I’m still not good at it.
2. Put together pizza.
- You can bake any of my pizza recipes in one of three ways: 1 on baking sheets in the oven, 2 on pizza stones in the oven, or 3 in cast iron skillets on the grill or in the oven. This includes all of my pizza recipes. The weather and the number of people we are feeding determine how often we cook them.
- Set out the dough. First, make the dough into a circle. We used a pizza stone because we were grilling the pizza on our Memphis Smoker (shown in the picture).
- Put on toppings. A lot of barbecue sauce should be spread on the dough. Next, add the cooked bacon, small pieces of red onion, shredded chicken, and white cheddar cheese.
- Finish up. Grate some fresh Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake or grill pizza at a high temperature. In our oven, we use 450 degrees, and on our grill or smoker, we use at least 500 degrees.
- It’s done when the bottom of the crust is nice and brown.
- What to pour on top of this pizza
- Let’s start with a red wine or craft beer. OR, for fun, you could make Blueberry Mojitos or Swirl Margaritas.
- This hearty pizza only needs a simple green salad to go with it. You could also serve it with my Best Italian Chopped Salad, which stays good in the fridge for the whole week.
- Would you like some dessert? The ice cream I talked about above isn’t your thing? Try our all-time favorite cookies, Brown Butter Toffee Cookies!
Tips and Advice
Follow my easy steps to make your own pizza dough. You can make this dough pretty quickly, and you have about an hour to do it before you start putting the pizza together. It does make the BEST pizza! Make the toppings. Slice the onion, cook the bacon, shred the chicken, and shred the cheese.
Put pizza together. Put the dough on a baking stone or a skillet and roll it out. You can choose how thick or thin the dough is. After that, put in the mozzarella cheese, barbecue sauce, bacon bits, shredded chicken, and bacon. If you want, add Parmesan.
Grill or bake pizza. Set the oven to high heat. Our oven is at least 450 degrees, and our grill or smoker is at least 500 degrees. The crust is done when it’s nice and golden on the bottom.